Sustainable Business Practices
In July 2019 The Sacred Willow changed ownership and as part of the vision for our business we committed to reducing our environmental impact as much as possible.
These are some of the initiatives we have rolled out in the first six months of owning the business –
Our Shipping -
- We removed plastic bubble wrap and moved to biodegradable bubble wrap or cardboard bubble wrap alternatives
- We increased the usage of carboard boxes, uncoloured tissue paper and newspaper (which would otherwise go to landfill) wherever possible to ship items instead of plastic satchel bags
Our Suppliers –
- We now stock a range of Australian grown, plastic packaging free smudge varieties
- We REDCycle any single use soft plastic packaging that comes from our suppliers and aim to support Australian businesses who don’t use plastic packaging wherever possible
- We support a number of local Australian artisans producing small batch magick to reduce the carbon emissions required to ship product from international suppliers
- We source crystals from local people who no longer wanted them encouraging a circular economy rather than buying newly mined crystals from wholesalers. As we move through our existing crystal stock, a long term decision will be made about the viability, ethicality and sustainability of stocking these items.
Our Philanthropy –
- We use the Ecosia search engine, which uses a portion of their ad revenue to plant trees throughout the world.
- We also started our Philanthropy program where we aim to support charities that work to improve the health and wellbeing of our planet and her inhabitats.
2020 and Beyond -
As we move through our current supplies, we are replacing them with greener options for packaging in the following areas -
- Moving from plastic packing tape to paper based, silicone free packing tape
- Removing single use plastic from herb packaging, moving to biodegradable or reusable options
- Moving to biodegradable, compostable satchel bags for postage where we can’t use cardboard packaging
- Moving to plastic free padded envelopes in place of plastic bubble wrap envelopes for shipping smaller items
Longer term, we will also be looking into carbon offsetting to further reduce our impact.
We believe that together, we can all make a difference in how we treat the Earth and we hope these steps we have taken help us to contribute to a more sustainable future.